Re: [TowerTalk] Near Field Lightning Damage

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Near Field Lightning Damage
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 04:11:10 -0400
Years ago, while we were building a new home on the NW corner of the old family farm, we lived in a Mobile home as we had already sold our first home.

I'd set the rig (Kenwood 830) on the kitchen counter to operate. At other times the coax went into a broom closet. One cold and windy day with heavy snow, I heard a loud snapping sound like a mouse trap. We had neither the mice, or that many traps as the snap occurred about every 5 to 10 seconds.

I opened the closet to be greeted by a big fat arc across the end of the PL-259. It was a fat, bright blue arc that curved out well away from the end of the connector. With the closet door open the "snap" was even louder. It was the equivalent of a good, brisk, and efficient hand clap. I never had an ignition system including mags that could equal that spark.

That spark was created by the heavy snow blowing across my quarter wave, 40 meter vertical. It was very cold, so you could call it a dry and very cold snow. IOW: One whale of a Van der Graaf Generator!

I've had precipitation static as well as induced voltage from lightening create those snaps, but never at that strength. OTOH I would normally disconnect AND GROUND those cables when any storm is near. Now that I have a grounding bulkhead and arresters where the cables enter the house, that is no longer a problem.

I would guess that if a thunderstorm is near, those snaps are from induced voltage caused by the lightening, rather than static buildup. OTOH lightening is just a huge static discharge containing thousands of amps. Possibly hundreds of thousands of amps. A lightening strike a mile away can induce a thousand volts (or more) per meter in a wire. As the 75 meter antenna is roughly 37 meters long, that's 19 KV per side. One of those that shakes the house could be many times that, but "typically" that induced voltage has very little power, but it can, so it's nothing to ignore and a good reason gor grounding the coax or throwing it outside.

A close, powerful stroke, could induce enough voltage and power to be lethal just from the shield to ground. That's a good reason not to just disconnect the coax from the rig.

Roger (K8RI)

---