Re: [TowerTalk] New To ME US Towers HDX-555- advice needed

To: "tower talk TO POST" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New To ME US Towers HDX-555- advice needed
From: Mike Ashby <seabassm01@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 19:27:47 -0600
Sam;
I to am in the process of doing the same thing.  All of the sheaves were
sluggish and I did not know the history of the cables.  Went to Kaman bearing
and bought sealed heavy duty bearings and had a machine shop bore and press the
new bearings into the old sheaves.   Much less expensive than new purchase from
U.S. Towers.  Went to a rigging supplier and purchased new cables.  I purchased
heavy duty cable clamps for the end terminations.  The rigging company could
have done the swagging cheaper but the ends would not fit through the sheave
housings.  Took the tower to a welding shop and had them grind and weld 2 or 3
spots that had some small hairline cracks.  I  then went over the entire tower
and put 2 coats of cold galvanizing on questionable spots.  3 coats on the
thrust bearing shelf and rotor shelf.  Wire brushed thrust bearing and painted.
Squeezed bearing grease into bearing until old was replaced with new.  Bought 2
collar stops to bolt to mast and rest on top of the thrust bearing.  Going to
purchase a funnel to slide down the mast and cover the thrust bearing for water
protection.  Have also considered a vent pipe flashing instead of funnel.
I consider this as a good investment into peace of mind.
Mike
W7PIM