Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: G5RV vs 40M dipole

To: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: G5RV vs 40M dipole
From: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 14:19:15 -0700
I have used a regular balun, rather than choke beads, with success on a
full sized G5RV.

You can read up on the theory of it; it's all over the internet.  This is
not a new design after all.

I don't know where the "choke beads" would go.  I presume on the feed point
at the antenna base?

Perhaps the thing to do is pay attention to the SWR on each band.  Whatever
the theory says, if the SWR is too high, (3:1 perhaps) on your particular
antenna, then stay off of that band.  Antenna tuners (as I hope we all know
here) only help your rig load up and thereby protect the rig, a bit.  They
don't change the voltages and currents that the antenna itself actually
sees.  Ditto the feedline for that matter.  So, if either is hot enough to
melt stuff, it's a problem.

I never ran my G5RV with full power -- maybe that's why mine worked :-) .

WO7R