Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 01:50:09 +0000
   I want to make something clear. I never said that is practical to match any
load with an antenna tuner. In fact if you have an "anti-resonant" antenna it
is a lost cause.
I was simply debunking the notion that an antenna tuner only protects the rig
from a high SWR and it does not change the currents or voltages in the antenna.
   I used E.F. Johnson transmitters in my earlier years and they were capable
of matching a large range of "mis-matched" antennas, even some random length
length long wire antennas. In those days an SWR meter and antenna tuner were
luxuries that a lot of us could not afford. We tuned up the rigs to for a dip
in the
plate current, adjusted loading to get the dip to the proper current. That was
it.
   The G5RV was "invented" before I was born, almost 70 years ago. There was
not even a 15 meter band then. And most relied on the variable (swinging link
coupling in the plate, possibly a
series capacitor to match their dipoles. The G5RV is a dipole in fact and there
is an attempt create multiple resonances by combinations of antenna length and
feedline length.
I am an engineer, retired now. And have had over 50 years experience with RF.

Said enough.
Good luck guys.
Maybe some of you should sit in on my class on resonance and why we use
resonant antennas and impedance matching networks.
73
Bill wa4lav