Re: [TowerTalk] choke / balun design needed

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] choke / balun design needed
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 11:02:53 -0700
As far as I know, Fair-Rite is the only manufacturer of this material, which they developed around 2001. They sell through at least a half dozen distributors. Ham distributors, like kitsandparts are notoriously expensive, but they do sell onesey-twosey. FAR better to go to one of the mainstream industrial vendors and buy in quantity. My current favorite for quantity purchases is Dexter Magnetics, near Chicago. I've also heard good things about Lodestone Pacific.

To build quantity, combine your needs with those of other local hams who are active on the HF bands. I've both organized group purchases and participated in group purchases organized by others. See Appendix One of my RFI tutorial for some specific advice. k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf You do NOT want to re-ship ferrite cores -- it's expensive and they break.

The last time I bought medium quantity (about 50) of #31 2.4 cores, I paid about $5, including the cost of tax and shipping.

73, Jim K9YC