[TowerTalk] 4-square phasing lines, how accurate is good enough ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4-square phasing lines, how accurate is good enough ?
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 17:55:46 -0300
WX is finally above freezing !

Messing around with a 2nd or 3rd hand Comtek 20m 4-square here today that I
was very lucky and fortunate enough to inherit (tnx agn!) and all 4
(commercially made) phasing lines are different lengths.

They are RG11/u and going from memory,  they are 14'7", 14'7.5", 14' 9" and
15'1/2" (or thereabouts). I am trying to remember dimensions from several
hours ago, but you get the idea.

I only measured the 14'7" one with my AA-230pro analyzer and X=0 @
13.850MHz....so I am thinking they are all too long (?) and I should shorten
the 14'7" one until I get it close to 14.100MHz and make the other ones
match.

I primarily operate CW and am 95% a contester, but do appear on SSB from
time to time.

This is really my first time playing with 1/4 wavelength lines or 4-squares
for that matter, so looking for a bit of advice.  The elements themselves
will be 17' apart on the straight side from one another and about 24.2'
apart on the diagonal.  I already have the posts in the ground.  They will
be up about 4' off the (poor) earth with 1 or 2 raised radials.  It is what
it is and I am not planning on changing this part of the build; only the
phasing lines.  I was led to believe that the PO had issues with it and it
may not have worked quite like they would've liked.  Now worries. I still
feel very blessed to inherit such a gift J

Comments?

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB