Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Rotating tower guying question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Rotating tower guying question
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 02:30:34 -0400
On 5/5/2015 12:22 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:

My 45G is only 100 feet, but with the big array on top, I went up there on some pretty windy days, where by the time I headed down I questioned the wisdom of having made the climb. Under those conditions with that large array on top, I could detect no movement, or vibration of the tower, let alone lean.

73

Roger  (K8RI)

The stretch of Philly is dependent on the cross section of the fiber bundle, the cable construction, and the applied force. Same for EHS. The modulus of Kevlar 49 used in Philly is 16.3E6 psi per the DuPont documentation and the modulus of high strength steel is 30E6 psi. However, 7 strand guy wire rope has several modes of stretch so the net modulus us about 20E6 psi (USS Wire Rope Handbook). So any same diameter strand of Kevlar 49 will elongate 1.3x the same EHS diameter. I think this is less than shown in Kurt's analysis, but haven't done the calculations. However, if the kevlar is larger in diameter than the EHS then they should stretch the same amount per pound of tension. So as Kurt suggests in his paper, using higher strength rated Kevlar can have the same stretch and thus same tower deflection as EHS. Of course, as Kurt notes, a pier pin base mostly eliminates overstressing the tower due to lean.

In my test stand I validated that the stretch of "old" Phillystran is as predicted by the modulus, there appears no "cable lay" degradation. Perhaps this is because "old" Philly has no stranding or twist, all fibers are laid along the length of the cable. New Philly does have stranding and twist, but I have not tested it to determine the net modulus.

One thing Kurt doesn't mention or seem to consider is that the safe working load (SWL) for EHS and Kevlar is 30 to 40% of breaking strength. Hence when his analysis shows a guy safety factor of less than 2.8 the load is too high for the guy size selected. This is the case for several of the "tower leans too much" cases he evaluated. Thus, if those guys were up sized to SWL, the tower would lean less as a larger diameter guy at a lower stress level will stretch less. Kevlar guys are also rated about the same percent of breaking strength SWL.

The USS handbook states that the yield point for wire ropes is reached at about 44% of breaking strength. Thus any guy stressed to more than that value will permanently stretch, obviously a severe problem for tower guys.

Kurt did terrific work in calculating what goes on with a guyed tower and the principles are very helpful in understanding what is happening in a guyed structure. We have seen a substantial beefing-up of most factory designed ham radio self supporting tower bases and guy systems in recent years, perhaps driven by code changes, and perhaps because of better tools to analyze the structures.

Grant KZ1W