Re: [TowerTalk] Installing DB36 atop 75ft guyed tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, jim@jtmiller.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Installing DB36 atop 75ft guyed tower?
From: K7LXC--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 11:43:39 -0400
>  I'm evaluating options for a future station. I'm thinking  a Steppir DB36
with the 80m dipole would be a likely choice atop a 75ft  tower. I'm
evaluating the possibility of either a crankup/tiltover or  something like a
Rohn 55.

>  I'm wondering how something as complex and heavy as a DB36  would be
installed on a guyed tower with all the obstruction of the guys. One  way
would be to get a crane.

>  Are there others?

    Sure. While I'll always prefer a piece of equipment  to do the heavy
lifting, there are other ways to do it. The one that I use 90%  is to use the
tramline. This is where the antenna is slung under the tramline  and pulled
up by a rope. A similar technique is the trolley where the antenna  sits on
top of 2 lines up the tower. For various reasons, this technique is not
recommended.

    Tom, N6BT, uses what he calls a "wig-wag' technique  where the antenna
is threaded thru the guys.

    All of these techniques including drawings are in  my UP THE TOWER book
available from championradio.com.

Cheers & GL,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs
Cell: 206-890-4188