[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: sealing PL259's

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: sealing PL259's
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 13:25:41 -0400
Hi Jim,

I was thinking about the "gray" thread sealer that doesn't harden. It would
also be out of the UV-radiation being inside the threads. Should be no problem,
more than cleaning the gook off.

I don't like to "tighten with pliers" when you have a knurled surface on the
nut (or screw for that matter). It's needed for the UHF connector but not on
the N (or TNC) for a proper connection.

Regarding N <-> BNC: The BNC is weather proof by specification. You will find a
gasket on a "correct" BNC connector. I was also told that the cores of the BNC
and the N connector as almost identical. You can, with good result, temporary
push a male N onto a female BCN. The core of a male BNC also fit in the female
N. You can check the dimensions for the N and the BNC you will find that they
are within tolerances. The center conductor in the N is thicker to maintain the
Z=50 Ohm, as there is no dielectric (beside air) surrounding the conductor.

Hans