[TowerTalk] Need Help with AN Wireless Thrust Bearings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need Help with AN Wireless Thrust Bearings
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 01:17:49 -0700
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 20:41:38 -0700
From: "W7ZZ" <w7zz@wavecable.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>

I purchased thrust bearings from AN Wireless in 2008 as part of a two tower
package acquired at that time.  For various reasons, the towers didn't go in
the air.  I am putting them up this summer.

Getting ready to do so, I have examined the thrust bearings:  the
manufacturer is Peer and the model is FHFTJ211-33G.  These units consist of
a base, which includes a stainless steel 2 1/6th inch round bearing (through
which the 2" mast would pass), and an eccentric ring which the mast would
also pass through and which fits into the bearing assembly.  The eccentric
ring has a tightening hex nut that presumably tightens it to the mast, and a
hole that does not go all the way through, that appears to be for tightening
the ring itself somehow.  However, the eccentric ring rotates freely on the
bearing - it does not appear to tighten.  It has no screw threads or other
apparent system of tightening other than the hex nut, which would tighten
only to the mast, not the bearing assembly.

Is anyone familiar with this thrust bearing?  If so, does it rely on weight
of the mast/antennas and friction between the eccentric ring and the
stainless steel bearing to turn the bearing, or are you supposed to do
something that I haven't figured out?  I have photos of the unit if seeing
those would help figure this out.  Just email me off list.  AN Structures,
the successor to AN Wireless, has been very responsive but they don't know
the answer and Peer, the manufacturer, has not been helpful at all.

Thanks.  73 Doug W7ZZ w7zz@wavecable.com <mailto:w7zz@wavecable.com>

##  I use a PAIR of the same peer bearings on my UST  HDX-689 and they are
superb.
Ok, here is how the eccentric ring works.   Once the 2 inch mast is inserted
through the
bearing and eccentric ring assy, to tighten the eccentric ring to the mast..u
simply rotate
the eccentric ring   CW... or CCW.    Once it tightens on the mast, then use a
punch and hammer,
and place the punch at an angle into the hole on the  eccentric..and give it a
light tap..

##  Just remember which way, CW, or CCW  u used to tighten up the ring..since
if u want
to loosen it u will need to  tap the hole  with the same punch in the opposite
direction.

##  I always use CW...looking down from above.    You can test ur bearing and
ring, by sliding the
pair over the end of a short length of 2 inch OD material, like aluminum etc.
If u look at the ring carefully,
u will see it is indeed eccentric, its not a perfect circle.   Once u have the
ring tight on the mast..then the final
tweak is to tighten up the hex nut etc..... but put some never seize on the
bolt 1st.

##  UST uses peer bearings, 2 of em on the big drum assy, which uses a 2 inch
solid shaft.   Now these drum
bearings look similar to the mast bearings, except they are of the self
centering type.  You never use self centering
bearings for mast bearings.

Jim  VE7RF