Re: [TowerTalk] Weight of tower on the main bearing of a rotating tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weight of tower on the main bearing of a rotating tower?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 09:25:05 -0400

> Any idea how much weight the bearing will actually have to take?

As a starting point, about 78% of the pretension of the top guy wires
(assuming 80% guying - or 80 foot radius for a 100 foot tower) will
be converted to downward force on the tower.  For your 6700# guys
that's 6700 * 0.10 * 0.78 * 3 ... about 1560# for the top set of guys.
Add a second set of guys at 2/3 height and around 65% of the pretension
becomes downward force ... 1300#.  For a third set at 1/3 height, about
40% of the pretension is downward force ... 800#.

That means 3700# give or take for the static load of the guy wires.
*HOWEVER* that's the minimum is calm winds and no ice load.

How much would 1/2" or 3/4" of radial ice covering the entire surface
weight?  If you had winds that loaded the guy wires to 50% of their
breaking strength, the downward force imparted by the guy wires would
be five times as great as the no wind condition.

It's those dynamic forces that you need to design for <G>.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV