Re: [TowerTalk] Weight of tower on the main bearing of a rotating tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weight of tower on the main bearing of a rotating tower?
From: Richard Thorne <rthorne@rthorne.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 06:06:13 -0500
Thanks for all the replies, very educational.

Rich - N5ZC

On 5/31/2015 7:48 AM, Richard Thorne wrote:
I'm finishing up the rebuild/refurbish of the parts for a 55g rotating tower.

I was pondering and I'm curious. How much weight will the main bearing have to take? It's one thing to add up all of the components on the tower but then there's the downward force of the guy wires.

I did some quick math and I'll probably have less than 2500 pounds of tower, rotating rings, antennas, coax assembles etc. I'll be using 1/4" guy material which is rated at 6700 lbs and requires 10% tension. The rotating base will be at ground level.

Any idea how much weight the bearing will actually have to take?

Thanks

Rich - N5ZC