Re: [TowerTalk] 90 degree coax bend atop a crank-up tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 90 degree coax bend atop a crank-up tower
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 10:48:55 -0500
Did you wrap the split loom with tape at intervals or what. If yes how far apart?

Patrick    NJ5G

On 6/4/2015 3:46 PM, WK1W - Ivan Shapiro wrote:
I have a US Tower 589 MDPL motorized crank-up.  I bought Chris' complete
replacement set of standoff arms.

Have not installed them  yet due to weather (i.e. cold/snow) in Northern
Maine.

I particularly like the way the top arm "eases" the coax.  Also the rings in
the arms below the top have larger opening, which I need.

Here is what and how I did my up-the-tower run with US TOWER-supplied
standoffs:

There are four LMR400 feed lines (so far) plus one CAT5e for the IP control
of a PTZ camera plus a "Siamese" cable for 24 VAC  and video coax.

I learned the hard-way, having cut the CAT cable during raising after we
tested in on the ground and upright that it CAN be caught.

Having learned this I went to my local auto store and bought 100 feet of
one-inch "split-loom".  You find these in engine compartments protecting the
wiring.

This bundle occupies almost the entire area within the rings.and now I want
to put up more coax for other antennas.

So Chris' standoffs with larger openings are ideal for me when I substitute
them for the original ones.

Now, what to do with the original standoffs?  Maybe add some to the other
leg at various heights for attachment points for wire antennas.

One other thing I want to do is load the tower for 80/160

73

Ivan Shapiro

WK1W

---