Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor loop coax choices ?

To: "TexasRF@aol.com" <TexasRF@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor loop coax choices ?
From: Mark Spencer <mspencer12345@yahoo.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 21:07:43 -0700
Gerald:

In most cases double or single shielding is probably a non issue for me at HF
so long as I use "high quality" single shielded cable.

That being said, I have found that on occasion some single shielded cable I
have acquired has been quite poor, where as the double shielded cable I've
purchased over the years has been of consistently high quality (so far.)

I also operate at VHF and up at fairly high power levels with low noise pre
amps and have some concerns about overloading the preamps due to leakage to and
from cables.

The sticker shock of new RG 214 (and the associated connectors) is causing me
to re think my default approach of running double shielded cables all the way
from the radios to the antennas including the runs past the rotors/

I've had some other non ham radio experiences over the years that cause me to
appreciate the virtues of the dual braided silver covered shields  of the RG
214 and RG 400 varieties of coax but again none of this is likely relevant for
me at HF.

Sent from my iPhone