Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew tower
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 02:18:29 -0400
I would disagree with a couple of caveats, I'd remove the galvanizing with a sanding wheel. One of those constructed from strips of emery cloth or sand paper. Unlike grinding, they only remove the surface and are not prone to removing excess steel. or in the case of water pipe, malleable, or nodular iron. The correct grit does a good job and leaves a good surface. Like grinding, sparks indicate you have removed the galvanizing and are into steel. OTOH you still need to carefully inspect the surface to make sure ALL of the galvanizing has been removed. I don't like to do it, but I've welded a lot of galvanized water pipe and steel angle (windmill towers)

I do the work outdoors with a MIG welder and a light quartering breeze. A fan, or strong breeze requires too much cover gas, and is more likely to lead to aspiration: IE eddy currents carrying the noxious fumes back to the welder. I've never bothered with the milk (I'm allergic to it) but with care I'm still welding at 75. When outside, be careful of buildings and shrubs causing eddy currents with unpredictable flows. Many days around here the wind direction can be quite variable.

Don't get the galvanizing material into the weld It can reduce the strength of the weld substantially. Another reason for cleaning off all the galvanizing "before" welding. Poisonous fumes and weak welds. Reasons for not welding galvanized.

OTOH Solder is seldom anywhere near the strength of a proper weld.

Still, hams are noted for using what's available. I started to say, "not long ago", but that only applies to those near my age or older<:-)) Instead, I'll say, "Used to be" we had articles on building towers and masts of wood 2 X 4s. Even QST and the handbook had articles on them and we thought they were great.

Transmitters using a cheap pair of 6 L 6s. Now a pair of 6 L 6s might cost more than a simple commercial transmitter.

So the materials may not be the best, but they are what's available. We apply what we know, seek advice and try to stay safe.

73, good luck,  and stay safe

Roger  (K8RI)