[TowerTalk] wood for towers

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] wood for towers
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 15:27:10 -0400
Wood: The wood we have available is no longer the quality it was even 30 years ago. Most is uncured, or poorly cured with a high moisture content and requires proper curing after you get it home and before you use it if you want it to stay straight.

Curing wood: Requires time and a location of a relatively low humidity, or at least out of the elements. Having had a need for straight and stable wood of 2X4, 2X6, 2X8, 2X10 and 2X12s up to 16 feet long, I cleaned an area in my shop and laid out a series of 2X4s 4' long, parallel, and about 3 or 4 feet apart. On this, I laid out the lumber to be cured. with more lumber than would fit on a single layer, I laid out another layer of 2X4s and put the extra wood on these for a start. For the first week I turned the wood being cured, over twice a day. Multiple layers can soon add a lot of work. At the end of the first week I went to rotating the lumber once a day, BUT if there was any sign of warping I went back to twice a day for another week. I continued this for a month. I then laid our a couple pieces laying flat on a series of 2X4s and let them set while rotating the stock every few days.

Check Google on "how to cure lumber" for alternative methods.

If at the end of the week there was no sign of warping of the wood not being turned, I considered it cured and stacked it laying broad side down. Storing it on edge encourages the wider boards to curve forming a long "U"

With the time and effort required to cure the wood, it's easy to understand why the big box stores and most lumber yards do not have properly cured wood. There is a yard about 10 miles from me that will supply properly cured wood to required dimensions, including hardwood for furniture, but you do pay more for that properly cured wood.

With all the time required, I decided to try a brute force method of curing and clamped a new 2X4 between braces in a steel frame about 6' apart. I could see it trying to twist, but assumed it would stay more or less straight. I was working in the shop about a week later when there was a very loud bang and pieces of 2X4 went flying and I do mean flying with some landing 6 to 8 feet from the original location.. The longest piece was about 3 or 4 feet long. Proving to me that the lumber had to be properly cured to stay straight. I had some new 16' long 2X4s,' develop a 60 to 90 degree twist in 2 weeks

Roger (K8RI)

---