Re: [TowerTalk] Brake Winches

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Brake Winches
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 16:08:23 -0400
That's not correct! It's the gear ratio! Not friction that makes the worm gear winch self braking! I can raise my LM470 tower to vertical with one hand using my Dayton worm gear winch. With the double step down spur gear winch I could barely raise it with two hands. It was work for a guy considerably larger than I. Yes the recirculating ball step down has very little friction, but find one that's affordable to hams, that doesn't require modification to make it useful. Electric cars do use dynamic breaking (I have one), but they still require mechanical brakes. Dynamic breaking only slows the car. The worm gear drive is still the most viable option.

A good worm gear winch has more friction than a spur gear winch, but turns "MUCH EASIER" than a spur gear winch for the same load. I have a good Dayton worm gear drive winch. Use a good grease meant for high contact pressure such as BR2 grease. ( http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/products/details.aspx?prod=01512854&type=PROD ) and well worth the price. You don't need a lot.

Hand Winch,Worm Gear,No Brake,3000 lb. <https://e.grainger.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DWQpglLjHJlYQGmzbAg90zcGBzbzbYzeHp3wIUAzdNmgRO6y3LWVXtpKX%3DSSDUU&_ei_=Ent1lRLEeJUBGfe13xjMWihlbL5B_TL70smvptjF2afSqEKQ3FpP2cXN-5_GE_Y9TGX5YmZr7yLJT2xhS2S_h_zr_eAF7MFWB3bKFetdkqSjaWruhQBQ10ehAQW5xTapnc8x7GZsejZbppQrKXLxNOniuw45H_qK_RFoB55Xew3bcoLdhHLqY0Cq_CSAaHUeUUfIOHkRdJIKmnAq1DSomXUg9W0cfU-2ltkrZwj_4giFv1XJB3fsGdYInn28Dz90PesiExTi0bMStsk_T3cqGs0gF_G1UQ6DldrFyj7ALg.> Item No: 12U381 <https://e.grainger.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DWQpglLjHJlYQGmzbAg90zcGBzbzbYzeHp3wIUAzdNmgRO6y3LWVXtpKX%3DSSDUW&_ei_=Ent1lRLEeJUBGfe13xjMWihlbL5B_TL70smvptjF2afSqEKQ3FpP2cXN-5_GE_Y9TGX5YmZr7yLJT2xhS2S_h_zr_eAF7MFWB3bKFetdkqSjaWruhQBQ10ehAQW5xTapnc8x7GZsejZbppQrKXLxNOniuw45H_qK_RFoB55Xew3bcoLdhHLqY0Cq_CSAaHUeUUfIOHkRdJIKmnAq1DSomXUg9W0cfU-2ltkrZwj_4giFv1XJB3fsGdYInn28Dz90PesiExTi0bMStsk_T3cqGs0gF_G1UQ6DldrFyj7ALg.>

It makes lifting a given load much easier, but compared to spur gear winches it's not cheap @ $249 Vs $50 or $60 for the spur gear drive winch at the local Ace hardware store. Just try running a good worm gear winch with (with grease applied) no load to see how much friction it has.

Note: Worm gear drive rotators are popular for swinging large arrays with small motors and do not require brakes, but they are pricey compared to the ham series rotators by Hy-Gain.

Also, the spur gear driven winch can be dangerous. I lost a lot of hide off the back of my hand to the handle on one. If your hand slips off the handle, just step back and let it go.

73

Roger (K8RI)*
*