Re: [TowerTalk] Base stubs for old AX-series tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com, rgcox2@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Base stubs for old AX-series tower
From: K7LXC--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 11:09:06 -0400
>  I have 5 sections of an old Rohn AX-series self supporting  tower.  I am
thinking about using 3 of the larger sections for a short  EME tower.  I
tried to check with Criticaltowers.com to see if any of  the BX-series
stubs would work.  Basically they told me that they had  no parts for the
old AX-series towers and never had any at any time.   Unless I find
useable stubs, I am planning to just bury one of the larger  tower
sections in 4 feet of concrete and stack 2 sections above  it.

Hiya, Roger!

    Long time no see. How is the rf antenna engineering  going?

    I'm trying to remember what the differences between  the AX and BX
towers are. Methinks they might be kind of minor.

    In any case, you can use steel pipe for the  concrete legs. Just make
them 4' long or so and drill corresponding bolt holes  in them and they'll
bolt right up. They're strong enough for a tower base in any  case.

    The pipe should be big enough to fit right into the  inside of the leg.
I don't know which size to suggest - 1.5" or 2" anyway.  And they're
already galvanized!

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH