[TowerTalk] PVC pipe

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] PVC pipe
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 03:29:11 -0700
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 11:00:30 -0700
From: "Hank P" <pfizenmayer@q.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk , PVC pipe

Thanks for the replies -- the stuff I looked at seems to be all pretty
much aimed at medical applications - and a few electrical apps
and its called multi-lumen .

Also there is some stuff called cell-core drain and waste pipe but
that appears to be a foam filling between two concentric pipes.

BUT in  the piece I have , the "interior tubes"
are not round - they are closer to truncated triangles/trapezoid. The base
is about 0.140 inches and the top about 0.100 and height about 0.130
and a very thin wall about 0.10(all inches) Then the center "tube"
formed from the tops of all the trapezoids is about 0.450 dia
with a little hump at one of the cells . The OD of the tube is 0.990
anywhere I measure it so it?s a little loose in normal 1 inch od PVC fittings.
The cells are not really extruded round tubes inside like most all
the "multi-lumen" tubing I have  found.

This piece is incredibly stiff - and the reason I was interested is that
my 160 and 80 meter rx loop cross pieces   sag a lot after  a year in
the AZ sun and I was thinking it would also make a really nice
vertical member for the loop. (yes I know that the vertical piece could
be metal but I trust a non conductive piece more.

Also might   make a nice non conductive boom for 2 and 432 antennas

This piece is 6 feet long and weighs 23.6 ounces so not really heavy.

Anyhow thanks for the repiles - at least now I know what to call it
and several places to call.

Anyone interested in a jpg file of what it looks like end on , send me
a direct email and I will attach it in reply.

73 Hank K7Hp

##  what else that might just work is to use the grey pvc tubing  found in the
electrical dept at home depot etc.   It is strong..and UV proof.   Then fill it
with that  expanding foam.   Hardly any weight added to it.   Should strengthen
it quite a bit and reduce flex, and eliminate any vibration.

Jim  VE7RF