Re: [TowerTalk] M2 Orion 2800 Rebuild?

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] M2 Orion 2800 Rebuild?
From: Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 11:32:55 -0700
Rob,

Please keep us informed on what you find.   I am installing a new M2 Orion 2800
this month.
I am planning on improvising a sheet metal skirt that will attach to the top of
the rotator that
will keep rain away from the top of the housing.  I understand that water can
get into the rotator
thru the top seal and cause problems in some cases.

Bob
K6UJ

> On Jul 6, 2015, at 4:31 AM, Les Kalmus <w2lk@bk-lk.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Rob,
>
> They're easy to work on. The outer shell has an upper and lower part with a
> plate between.
> The shaft and its large gear and the limit switches are above the plate and
> the motor and reduction gear train are below.
> The bottom of the clamp sits on a thrust bearing in the top half of the shell
> that may need some work to free up if that's what's rusty.
>
> You need to be careful disassembling things so you can reassemble them
> correctly. There aren't any loose ball bearings as far as I remember.
> On mine, the gear box and motor were filthy, probably the dirtiest, greasiest
> job I have ever done and I've done a few cars and tractors.
>
> I have a few pictures I can send you and some tips if you are interested but
> at the moment I need to leave for an appointment so no time to write it all
> out.
>
> 73, Les W2LK
>

> On 7/6/2015 1:26 AM, Rob Santello wrote:
>> Hi Group,
>>
>>  I just acquired a very used M2 Orion 2800 rotor that has had a tough life
>> turning a full size MonstIR SteppIR for the past 9 years. It was working
>> when removed but had some rust on it and the 1/4" bolt that holds the plate
>> onto the shaft was broke with the threaded part remaining in the shaft. It
>> can hopefully be removed with an easyout extractor. I don't think that will
>> hurt the rotor but mostly wonder how difficult it is to open it up for an
>> inspection to check its overall condition. There are plenty of documented
>> rebuilds of Hy-Gain rotors on the web but I can't find any example showing
>> someone rebuilding one of these. I know water getting into the 2800 has been
>> a problem and I'm concerned with the visible rust on the top that there
>> might be more internally. So how difficult is it to open one of these up  to
>> take a look inside. Is there a specific procedure or ideal sequence of steps
>> that should be observed when opening one and appreciate any pointers as to
>> what I need
  to check once inside?