Re: [TowerTalk] Freight charges when shipping towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Freight charges when shipping towers
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 22:31:23 -0400
The problem here is access. The big, long haul freight trucks can't get to my shop.

I'm in a rural subdivision where the roads are a standard 2-lane with no curb and ditches on both sides. The big freight trucks can't make the turns from the roads into the driveways. My metal supplier has a smaller flatbed they use for many businesses with limited access.

Using prior arrangements, I have the "big stuff" like a milling machine and heavy accessories shipped to the local airport (I'm a pilot) where they have a fork lift. Even the good cut off saws may weigh 800# or more, unlike the cheap imports from a number of the big box stores that might go a couple hundred pounds (I've worn out 2). I used to pay a local business that has a "low boy" trailer to bring stuff from the airport to here. Another had a steel "tilt bed". IIRC The mill (1800#) was only $200 to the airport and another $80 from the airport to here. I've also used a local freight depot. I'd have the lighter stuff like 45G tower sections shipped to the airport where two men can easily unload a section at a time and onto a 3/4 ton pickup. The mill is too much weight, too high (Top heavy load) to use a 3/4 ton truck even if you can load it.

When I was in business (a long time ago) the big antennas went to freight depot. They wouldn't even deliver to a business without a freight dock or means to unload the truck. The drivers wouldn't touch it.

73

Roger (K8RI)