Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding a tower in sand stone

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding a tower in sand stone
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 11:18:27 -0700
On 7/15/15 10:20 AM, Kent Olsen wrote:
I have my tower up. The next thing I want to do is grounding.

While digging for the foundation of my tower I hit sand stone and about 2
1/2 feet. We broke a back hoe digging through the sand stone.

Your concrete base, with all of its rebar, will be a suitable ground, and much better than any rod you drive. The contact area of rebar with concrete is huge, and the concrete to soil contact area is huge-er.

I would like to pound a 8 foot ground rod in but I do not think I will be
able to do it it all the way in. I have seen some people say you can pound
them in at an angel. Is this ok?? Is it not as well grounded if this is
done??

Sure, you can lay it horizontal in a trench, too.

But I'd just make a Ufer ground (concrete encased grounding electrode) in your concrete base. Make life easy and put 20 feet of bare 4 AWG copper wire in the concrete and bring it up through the top to connect to. Actually, if you've got bolts in the concrete, they'd make a connnection too, but it's nice having a copper wire to connect with.

25 feet of bare AWG4 was just under $40 a couple weeks ago when I bought it.