Re: [TowerTalk] Slobering Irons

To: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Slobering Irons
From: charlie@thegallos.com
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 10:54:22 -0400
One option that works WELL (and in fact is what most Mil spec places use
for any kind of BIG soldering where they can't crimp) is called Resistance
soldering.  Stinks for "Up the tower" but for the bench, hard to beat
The bigger units from American Beauty work well (heck, the mid sized units
work too) and if you look around, there are plans for making your own (Old
filiment Xformers work)
http://www.bristol-s-gauge.com/Projects/rsu.html

Basically, you build one the right size, use a couple of carbon rods
(copper/steel can also be used) you clamp ontpo the body of the PL259, and
turn it on (foot switch on the primary) (or a butoon, or..) and the
current flow through the connector gets it HOT, FAST