Re: [TowerTalk] TB3 Thrust Bearing Binding

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TB3 Thrust Bearing Binding
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 02:27:30 -0400
On 7/30/2015 8:50 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
Is there any rotator manufacture that recommends using two thrust bearings
along with the bearing in the rotator?

John KK9A

To:     <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject:        [TowerTalk] TB3 Thrust Bearing Binding
From:   "Kenneth Goodwin" <krgoodwin@comcast.net>
Date:   Thu, 30 Jul 2015 16:17:32 -0500

>From all indications with the outside temps reaching 100 degrees F, one or
both of my two TB3 thrust bearings seems to be binding.  All TX2 Tailtwister
rotator electrical data measured from the ground matches my baseline
(resistance), I can hear and feel the brake release and the voltages applied
to the TX2 motor windings are normal but until this morning when it got into
the 80's - it wouldn't budge at all.  I use one thrust bearing on the top
platform and a second as a means to remove the rotator if ever needed and
keep the tangential loads off of the TX2 rotator.  I believe this happened
the day before and it was in the same position (332 degrees).  Usually when
the 40 meter beam fails to rotate, the TX2 brake mechanism is binding even
with the Green Heron RT-21 rotation algorithm (small rotation the wrong way
before rotation to the commanded setting).  Is heat a feasible failure
mechanism for a Rohn TB3?   Anybody else ever run into this problem?  Ken
K5RG

Roger (K8RI)

---