Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600 up to the top of tower ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600 up to the top of tower ?
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 21:23:59 -0400
My choice would be, BuryFlex(TM) up the crank up tower. Although stiff, regular LMR 400 and 600 can be used for rotator loops. Use a 3 turn coil (coiled like a clock spring) laying on a flat plate or grid at the top or just below the top of the tower. I would orient the antenna so at one extreme of rotation the coil would be nearly the full 3 turns. going to the other extreme, would tighten the coil a bit The coil would be a minimum of 2 to 3 feet in diameter. This should produce very little bending of the coax.

BuryFlex(TM) is more flexible, has a very tough jacket that is also smooth and depending on the supports can be very slippery.

However, even using the same kind of coax all the way, I'd still make the rotator loop a separate piece as it is the place that is likely to give the most problem. Record the length so you can make a new one if ever needed. That way, you make a new jumper and just replace the old one.

Remember if this is on a tilt over with a tilt plate to leave enough room for the antenna to clear the loop support. Maybe even make a tilt fixture for the loop support. It needs to tilt, but also needs to clear a section of tower.

As my station is located on the S side of the shop about 1/3rd of the way down the wall to the W end.Currently the coax inside the shop goes from a patch panel directly behind the rig about 4' above the floor, then up through 1.5" EMT abt 6 feet and then over an insulated door to the W wall. It now comes back down 6 feet and goes N abt 14 feet where it goes through the W wall to a weatherproof box and to the AV640.

The plan is to "T" off the where the 1.5" EMT drops down 6' and add a horizontal 1.5" EMT across the W end of the shop with a sweep 90 onto the N wall. Then a sweep 90 down about 10' E of the W wall into a box about 3' above the floor, through the wall into another weatherproof box from there it's down through 2 or 3" PVC and underground to the tower that makes an overall run of "about 88 feet.

I may run BuryFlex all the way, but I have two 200 foot coils of LMR 600UF left. I've been running the UF stuff through the underground and interior conduit where it never gets hot or exposed to UV. Other than being a PITA to install connectors on, I figure the UF should last a long time in conduit. OTOH It's not a long run and BuryFlex would be easier to pull. I'll mount a box on the side of the LM470 like I did on the 45G I purchased a bunch of 600UF just before I found out what poor shape my LMR400UF jumper / rotator cables were in. Fortunately I had a 1000 ft of the regular LMR600.

There is a run of 1/2" EMT containing two 120 VAC circuits within a foot of where the coax will go through the wall, so I'm thinking of tapping off that for 120 VAC and mounting a weatherproof outlet on the outside wall, or going through the weatherproof box with 1/2" PVC conduit along side the conduit with the coax and rotator cables. Still undecided on that.

73

Roger (K8RI)