Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna in tree

To: Angel Vilaseca <avilaseca@bluewin.ch>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna in tree
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 08:46:56 -0400
I've done this a number of times. The trick is to keep the line out of the
props. I accomplish this by using a light bamboo stick attached to the
quadcopter and attaching it to the end of the fishing line.

I orient the aircraft so that the trip over the tree will be away from me
and that the bamboo boom is pointed toward me, away from the direction of
flight but aligned with the flight path.

​The fishing line is taken up by a common open spool spin-fishing reel with
light (12 pound/5 kg) test line.

I place the quadcopter (Phantom 2) in position on the ground, back up a few
strides, open the bail on the and fly the copter up​ to a position higher
than the tree. Laterally, I keep it on an imaginary line between me, the
position in the tree where I want the line to lie and my intended landing
position about the height of the tree beyond it. I keep light tension in
the line with the reel. and my finger providing a small bit of friction on
the line. Too much tension and the quadcopter will behave erratically, too
little and the line will tangle.

At this point, you're flying the quadcopter with one hand and handling the
fishing rod with the other. It might help to have a competent helper at
this point, but I've not been so lucky.

Play out plent of line, get the quadcopter high enough and over the tree
and carefully start the descent, keeping the slack out of the fishing line
and the boom pointed in your direction. Immediately shutdown the aircraft
after landing.

That does it for me. After a couple of spectactular crashes, this is what I
came up with.

73,

Mickey N4MB