Re: [TowerTalk] How to attach a 25/45 ginpole to HDBX Tower

To: K7LXC@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com, hovernaut@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to attach a 25/45 ginpole to HDBX Tower
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 12:49:42 -0500 (CDT)
Benny:

I followed Steve's suggestion from 2001 about using a chain and a couple of S
hooks to support the bottom of my ginpole on the Trylon I was assembling at the
time. Here's a close-up of the bottom of the pole http://tinyurl.com/no9w45g  ,
along with a few feet of heavy chain and two S hooks. Note that I taped the
hooks so they wouldn't fall off the chain. I lashed the ginpole to the lower
leg at three places a few feet apart.

A word of caution:  I would advise against this method for the HDBX design.  To
use the chain and S hook method, you'd have to sling the middle of the chain
over a leg brace above the bottom of the pole.  I don't have first-hand
experience with the HDBX tower but understand that the leg/brace joints are
riveted together. I would not put much faith in having an individual rivet
support the weight of the pole plus tower section using this method.  My
tower's equivalent joints are bolted together.

Caveat Amateur.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

On 08/24/15, K7LXC--- via TowerTalk wrote:

> I have to put up about 6 sections of HDBX/Spaulding Tower and wondering
if there are
good ideas out there about rigging a Rohn 25/45 ginpole for use on BX
Towers.

Designing a ginpole for a tower with changing leg dimensions is pretty
tough. My technique is to just use the pole part and lash it to the leg.
If you're just using a piece of pipe or tubing, use a sling to attach a
pulley to the top of the pole. Just about any piece of steel or aluminum will
work - it's just that steel is so much heavier.

Use a choker or sling on the bottom of the pole to keep it from
slipping down whilst you're pulling a section up.

Attach it fairly tightly to the leg, otherwise it'll want to move
around - never a good idea.

Cheers & GL,
Steve K7LXC
TOWER TECH