Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] [WARNING: A/V UNSCANNABLE]Teflon 50-ohm coax

To: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>, TowerTalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] [WARNING: A/V UNSCANNABLE]Teflon 50-ohm coax
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 07:51:08 -0700
Probably RG142. Be aware that designation has several implementations, although I think the MIL17/60 is "silver coated copper clad steel" center conductor and "double silver coated braid" shield, tan TFE jacket and TFE insulation. The spool I have is genuine MIL. Generally, specs say it is good for QRO power levels to 50MHz. I use it for winding coax chokes on FT240 cores, which pushes it a bit on the minimum bend radius spec but haven't had any problems QRO to 30MHz.

I would not say it is "supple" with the SCCCS center wire and double braid. Be cautious since I've seen cable marked RG142 with single tinned braid and TFE insulation. New stock is $3 to $7 per foot. I've seen it go on ebay for $1 per foot in a 380' spool. There are several listings on now around $1.50/ft and they look like the real MIL17/60 RG142.

Grant KZ1W