Re: [TowerTalk] Omnidirectional antenna for domestic contests

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Omnidirectional antenna for domestic contests
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 12:37:41 -0700
On Tue,10/6/2015 12:06 PM, Don W7WLL wrote:
Have been considering adding a set of 160 M legs to my 80M inverted V which currently is fed 70 feet up off my tower. The legs are in a straight line, SE and NW, ending about 12 feet off the ground. Have not been on 160 for decades! It performs reasonably well on 80 considering.

A horizontal 160M antenna at 70 ft is terribly low. You would be far better off loading the tower against a lot of radials or K2AV's folded counterpoise.

When I moved I gave away all my ARRL antenna books and I don't own an antenna anaylzer or modeling program so experienced input of others is important and welcome.

Maybe you should buy those books back -- rather than depend on advice of others who don't know any better, you can study the books and get GOOD answers.

In the meantime, here's a presentation I've done for several ham clubs and at Pacificon. http://k9yc.com/160MPacificon.pdf

73, Jim K9YC