Re: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering

To: john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering
From: Thomas Noel <tnoel@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 23:20:40 -0700
John,

There was nothing wrong with my technique.

Since it hit the TowerTalk listserve again yesterday, I was nudged to find an
answer. I cut another of the DXE-8XDX006 jumpers in half, prepped the cable as
per their instructions. The center conductor measures 0.055 inches just as it
should. Nothing wrong there.

I then used machinists’ drill bits to measure the center conductor hole in the
Amphenol 182115-10 connectors shipped to me. The center hole will not pass a
#55 drill bit which measure .052 inches. It should be able to pass a 1/16” bit
(.0625”) as the spec calls for .063”.

So the problem is a batch of the Amphenol connectors which appear to be out of
spec. Interestingly, I bought another batch from Dave’s Hobby Shop on EBay, and
the measurements are the same. The connectors are not marked, and could be a
cheap knock-off.

Interesting learning experience. I don’t think this was something within the
control of DXE.

Let it die.

Thomas Noel
KF7RSF