Re: [TowerTalk] 40 metres yagi - Your advice matters

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40 metres yagi - Your advice matters
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 02:33:28 -0400
If you can handle the size and weight, I think you will like either of the linear loaded M2 3L or 4L 40 meter beams They are quite a bit larger, heavier, and more expensive than the shorty 40s,

I have a 40M3, although it's not up at present. Reasonable gain and good f/b
I need to polish up the parts and reassemble it.

I hope to find a local climber to install the PST61 rotator, 2" steel mast 40M3 and the 7LC3i 6-meter Yagi on the 100' 45G My choice would have been the 40M4 as it covers the entire 40 meter band, but as I normally operate the bottom end on SSB and CW, the 3L was sufficient,

http://www.m2inc.com/amateur/antennas/hf-antennas/hf-monobander/40m4lldd/
With a new price of $2336 plus shipping it's not cheap or light compared to the shorty 40s.

The 40M4LLDD is a hefty ant With a relatively small foot print at 13 sq ft rated for 100 MPH. Weight is 142# with shipping weight of 160#. A heavy duty model rated for 125 MPH and $3,156. Weight is 185 with shipping weight listed at 190# (Only 5# diff?). Definitely not a one man operation to install.

The 40M3L http://www.m2inc.com/amateur/40m3l/ is just shy of 100# and a shipping weight of 125# Less than a db gain compared to the 4L and a db more on f/b. If you can get the height, I think f/b on 40 is more important than forward gain.

Shipping for all are definitely motor freight,

Yes it's larger and heavier than the 2L shorty 40s, but IIRC the 40M3L covers most of the 40 M band so although it's of good size, it's not a tremendous weight.(relatively speaking)

73,

Roger  (K8RI)