Re: [TowerTalk] Cell phone on towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cell phone on towers
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 00:09:21 -0700

That's not necessarily true at all. I have a wireless ISP using my tower to reach a few hundred customers that would otherwise not be able to have decent internet access (satellite internet has horrible latency). The FCC's position the last few years has actually encouraged such shared use of towers in order to reduce the proliferation of new towers, and I wrote the contract with the ISP ... as well as with the county when the ISP submitted a zoning waiver to use my tower ... to stipulate that the original amateur privileges and conditions would supercede in any instance where there was a conflict between the commercial and amateur use of the tower. I can kick the ISP off my tower without cause with 90 days notice, and they have to remove all equipment within ten days if anything they do violates local zoning or infringes on my amateur privileges. They also have to give me notice and ask my permission before coming out to do any work on the tower.

It's entirely possible that a cell phone company wouldn't agree to these same terms, but it's totally bogus to say that you give up all rights ... unless you're naive enough to do so.

To the original poster's question, I live in a RF-quiet area and have noticed no interference at all on the HF bands from the ISP, but I believe their frequencies are in the 5 GHz range and their power is probably less than for a typical cell phone installation.

Dave   AB7E