Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: Need balun advice

To: <n4xfa@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: Need balun advice
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wtd.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 07:00:26 -0800
Chris,

How are you measuring the SWR?  Power meter or SWR analyzer?

The SWR analyzer is sensitive to strong RF signalss.  You notice this at field
day when you see the SWR bounce all over the place because another station is
transmitting nearby.  You don't notice it as much at home if it is caused by a
nearby AM transmitter because the power level (and incorrect SWR) is
continuous.  My QTH is in the shadow of a 50 kW AM station and the SWR analyzer
is almost useless at lower frequencies and if the antenna is up high.

Remeasure with a SWR bridge.  If still bad start checking cable and connector
connections.

Earl
N8SS

Message: 5