Re: [TowerTalk] More balun advice

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More balun advice
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wtd.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:07:00 -0800
The antenna impedance won't change, it will still look like a typical dipole
with or without the balun.

The balun will act like a transformer over a fixed set of frequencies depending
on core material, # of turns, and inter-winding capacitance.  The high
frequency limit would be determined by core material and inter-winding
capacitance and the low frequency by the core material and # of turns.

# of turns and inter-winding capactance are mutually exclusive meaning that for
the improvement you get at lower frequencies by adding more turns you will lose
at the higher frequencies due to the increase in inter-winding capacitance.

A typical balun when terminated in its design load impedance would show less
than 50 ohms at the low end of its frequency range, maintain 50 ohms through
its usable frequency range, then go high when it hits its self resonant
frequency at the high end of its usefulness.

Read W2FMI and K9YC for the in depth discussion on balun design.

Earl
N8SS

Message: 5