Re: [TowerTalk] balun testing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] balun testing
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 22:15:28 +0000
Take a look at the voltages in the example I worked using your impedances. There would be no difficulty at all designing balun windings to handle the 452v rms (639v peak) differential-mode signal for a 1kW level; and of course there is no core dissipation arising from the differential-mode signal.

In these OCFD applications the limitation is nearly always the core dissipation arising from CM current driven by the CM voltage across the CM impedance. The 669v rms CM signal from that worked example would mean a dissipation of 45W in the "lower" choke of a 4:1 Guanella balun with a Zcm of 7000 Ohms (5000+j5000).

I can't think of any application - including at the output of a tuner - where the CM dissipation is not the limiting factor rather than breakdown voltage.

Steve G3TXQ