Re: [TowerTalk] 40 meter 10 meter antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40 meter 10 meter antenna
From: Dave Thompson <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 10:50:29 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
 I think you will have better luck on adding 10 meters to the Cushcraft than
15.  Years ago when I has a KLM 5el Bigstick and a Mosley 2 el 40 I expanded
the Mosley boom to 24 feet and added 12 meters (2 el) to it.  Worked very well.
 You had to add stubs to the 40 to get it to work on 15  I do find I can load
the Cushcraft I now have on 15 thru a tuner. Usually an s unit or so less than
the KT-34XA that replaced the KLM 20

The cushcraft should work well on 17 and I find it has about 6DB front to back
(not exactly bi directional.  Bill K1MM clued me on also using my older
Cushcraft on 12 but the pattern was found to be a large cloverleaf.  So say a
DU would be S9 and a nearby VR2 would be very weak in the null.

I now use a KT-34XA for 10, 15, and 20 and have the cushcraft 8 feet above it
for 40 and 17.  A added a 2 el W9PNE X beam for 12 with wire backs to eliminate
Boxen found with the X-beam below the XA by 5 feet.

A poor mans antenna farm for sure but I have 300 plus DXCC on 40 to 10
including 17 and 12.  In fact I need 5 to have them all on 17.

Good luck and keep experimenting with antennas
73 Dave K4JRB

DXAC SE Division ARRL