Re: [TowerTalk] Can´t add egg insulator...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Douglas Ruz (CO8DM)" <co8dm@frcuba.co.cu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Can´t add egg insulator...
From: "J. Hunt via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 15:33:28 +0000 (UTC)
It is VERY important to use non-resonant steel guy cables on your frequency(s)
of operation.

A resonant guy cable will have adverse radiation patterns during RX and TX.

A good example... my guyed tower was constructed years prior the 60m band was
introduced.
My tower is guyed at three levels.  Numerous preformed grips and egg insulators
were used.

I rigged up a 60m dipole antenna. During the tuning process, as I neared the
resonant frequency, the SWR suddenly sky-rocketed.
Reason - two of my guy cables were resonant within the 60m band.  I scrapped
the 60m antenna.

Thanks n 73,
James
ki5dq