Re: [TowerTalk] Reverse Fed Towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reverse Fed Towers
From: Dave Thompson <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 01:30:06 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
 Tom N4KG explained reverse feeding a tower in as I recall the May 1994 QST.

Tom does a good job of making it easier and yes, this is an elevated radial
system.  My main concern was not getting the radials far enough off the ground
to avoid ground loss. ON4UN told me the radials needed to be 40 feet off the
ground to be safe. There was a report by Christman released at Dayton in the
early 1980's where he built a half wave vertical dipole that required isolators
to be effective. K4PI looked at the design and told me it was too complicated.

I built one using Spi-Ro short radials and using the MFJ 259 found that my 71
foot tower top loaded was matched at 1830 at 18 feet.  A couple of others used
the design to make effective 160 or 80 meter verticals.

Dave K4JRB