Re: [TowerTalk] 4 Square in the future?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 Square in the future?
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 08:25:17 -0600
People = noise Want it quiet? Go where there are few (or no other) people. Check population density information on the web. There is lots of info available.

Sure there are lots of folks who live where the climate is pretty challenging but areas of nice climate tend to be people magnets. Take for example San Diego, CA. A near perfect climate. I saw snow once briefly with no accumulation whatsoever over a period exceeding 30 years. The (legal) population of San Diego county (realizing the population chiefly hugs the coast with just a few population centers inland) exceeds the entire population of the state of Oklahoma where I moved after retirement.

The western plains and mountains have some pretty sparsely populated areas. Take for example the Llano Estacado (Staked Plains) of eastern New Mexico.

I am a little over a mile out of the nearest town (Pop a little under 400.) There are only two hams in my zip code, me and a friend who I infected a couple years back. We are fairly rural and remote as it is about 25-30 miles to any of 5 Walmarts. We get funny noises we suspect are military ops (AWACS or whatever) flights out of Tinker AFB only 60 miles away.

Choose wisely... if you relocate to a desirable location with good climate, views, etc that just doesn't happen to be crowded now will likely, due to its desirability, become so before too long. Not a believer? Look at sequence of aerial maps (say every 10 years) of a candidate location and note the population density going up at or around it. Be careful, as if you get too close to civilization you might be subject to incorporation with significantly higher taxes. Municipalities are always looking to increase their tax base. See also Gerrymandering.

Distance is your friend, close proximity is not. Near neighbors can be a real challenge if they have many noisy items. Even low tech ranching can be a noise source. On all HF bands I can hear the steady zip, zip, zip on one second intervals of my own electric fence charger. Luckily it doesn't interfere with comms much.

Find a nice place, build a nice house, and there is a good chance you will get close neighbors within a few years. We have three homes added in the last 7-8 years within a half mile or so, all with HP Sodium lights on all night (I am amateur astro-photographer)

The best strategy to avoid close in neighbors is to buy enough land that you have a buffer zone around you. The closest a neighbor could build to us is over a quarter of a mile away. Existing neighbors are over a quarter mile away. Our property is 1/2 mile by 1/2 mile, 160 acres, not the answer for everyone.

I wish you the best possible luck in making your getaway. Do drop a line to report progress.

Patrick        NJ5G    Happy New Year