Re: [TowerTalk] Buried section base...and lightning protection.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Buried section base...and lightning protection.
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 10:12:11 -0800
On 1/4/16 8:58 AM, Douglas Ruz (CO8DM) wrote:
Hi,

I am almost ready to build a Buried section base for a 25G tower.

The hole is 2 x 2 ft and almost 3 ft deep...is it ok for a guyed tower?...it is
almost half cubic yard...and about 2000 pounds of concrete...no steel bars
inside.

Any tips are welcome.

I need some ideas about the lightning protection...How can i do a good
connection to the tower legs to the ground rod ?...

You're burying 3 feet of section in the concrete. That makes a fairly good connection. A typical Ufer ground has 20 feet of conductor (which doesn't even have to be continuous). You've got 9 feet with just the vertical part of the legs, and probably another 10 feet with the cross braces.

While you're at it, though, I'd get 22-23 feet of AWG 4 bare copper and put that into the concrete (leaving a couple feet sticking up in the air) with the base. It's a lot easier to connect to a piece of copper wire than trying to clamp onto the tower leg, and sooner or later, you're going to want to hook something up to "ground".