To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 157, Issue 13
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 14:34:09 +0000
  After hurricane Andrew the standards for towers were rewritten to allow for
higher
winds. It had nothing to do with concrete or computers.

I also have a Heights Tower, that I installed pre-Andrew, but it is in a
6'x6'x6'
concrete base. Also, I had planned on having quite a bit of stuff on it as well.

Heights changed their entire design and also moved to Florida.
  Also, many states have revised their building codes to deal with more severe
weather.

73
Bill wa4lav

I am totally amazed at  how concrete has weakened over the years.

When I put up my 64' UNGUYED Heights tower in 1970, 4'x4'x4' was all
that was required and that held a tribander and other antennas for years
(rebar wasn't mentioned and it was hand mixed concrete).   For a 50'
guyed tower, all I used was 30" square and 8" deep.

But that was back  before we had modern computers to tell us it wouldn't
work.

Ken WA8JXM