Re: [TowerTalk] Siamese type Coaxial Cable with /4 wire needed.

To: n8de@thepoint.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Siamese type Coaxial Cable with /4 wire needed.
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 07:07:09 -0800
On 1/7/16 6:53 AM, n8de@thepoint.net wrote:
Why the 4-wire control cable?

You can use the coax for switching ... I invented the idea in the
70's... it's very much like what is in the ARRL Antenna Handbook (and
the ARRL Handbook) ...
similar switching is available from MFJ/Ameritron .. and was used by
Drake and Heathkit years ago.

Just need to build a small blocking circuit at each end of the coax.

I think it's more to power/control the AH-4.
Power is easy - "bias T" on each end.
Control less so. I don't know enough about the AH-4 and what it needs/sends back to the radio. The "send AC and use diodes" approach gives you 4 possible states, so that might be enough for the AH-4 (I can see needing "power" and also needing to "push" a "tune" button)

On the other hand, if you want something that is basically plug and play, a siamese cable with the right connectors on each end is a lot simpler.

The MFJ Bias T is $30, and you need two. $60 would pay for a pretty fancy cable ($1/ft)

If you were running hundreds of feet, it might be more worthwhile.

I've gone through several different iterations of "how do you control a remote antenna tuner or switch", and for a short distance, the easiest and simplest solution is "run separate wires".

It's when you get to "I want to do a phased array with 6 elements and switching at the antenna and it's 1000 ft from the shack" that solutions like "send DC along with 2.4GHz WiFi over the coax" start to be attractive. And they are more complex.

For what it's worth, if you're in a major city, there are companies that will make custom cables: basically taking a bunch of standard wires/cables, and putting a custom jacket around them. Last time I checked (15-20 years ago) it was in the $1-2/ft range, depending on whether you wanted something hotstamped on the jacket (e.g. W6RMK super cable 42) and what the material was (PVC, PE, Urethane). That was for small quantities (100ft).

For instance, we were looking at getting custom extension cords made with the company name on them and in an unusual color so that they wouldn't disappear at job sites. We also looked into getting custom cables with LV AC power+Cat 5+coax to reduce the rats nest problem in field/location work.