Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Vertical & Guying

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Vertical & Guying
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 15:37:29 -0600
Fiberglass sucker rods are solid "pulltruded" fiberglass, strong, and insulating. They come in different diameters as you will see when Googling. Google "fiberglass sucker rods".

I have purchased used ones for a nominal $20. Being 37 1/2 feet long I cut them about in half to carry home on my pickup's roof rack.

I have a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower multi-band vertical which is a steel lattice tower 24 ft high topped by decreasing diameter aluminum tubing for a total height of 52 ft. It comes with insulators for the legs. This tower/antenna is free standing so the insulators have to do the whole job of keeping the tower erect.

These insulators can be purchased separately, I think. If you need more strength use 2-3 or more of these per tower leg. Heavy wall aluminum tubing to fit the insulators was included with the tower/antenna but I replaced it with solid steel rod because I customized the mount and needed to weld the parts. Unable to weld aluminum to steel I replaced the aluminum parts with steel. These aluminum tubes are available as well. They were intended to be set into the concrete foundation but I roof mounted mine on a steel building, no concrete, no radials, building as counterpoise and worked well so far (3+ years.)

Some folks have used UHMW plastic and made their own insulators. What suits you is based on your DIY abilities vs your pocketbook.

Patrick        NJ5G