[TowerTalk] The Need for Grounding

To: "'Towertalk Reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] The Need for Grounding
From: "W3YY" <w3yy@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 19:42:54 -0500
The latest posts about grounding, and finally some free time here, prompt me
to ask the following question.

Given lightning's desire to find the quickest way to ground, why doesn't it
expend itself in a single 8ft ground rod at the base of a tower, rather than
passing through another 250ft of transmission and control lines (also buried
in the ground) leading to the shack?  I would think that by then it has had
plenty of opportunity to arc to ground itself.

I am not disagreeing with the experts on this subject, but I just don't
fully understand what is commonly recommended.  With only a single 8ft
ground rod at the base of my 100ft and 120ft towers which are about 100ft
and 250ft from my house, I have only suffered two minor damages from a
lightning strike in over 40 years.  And, I'm not sure that even had anything
do with the towers, but was just an unrelated power line surge.

73, Bob - W3YY