[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: The Need for Grounding

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: The Need for Grounding
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 14:13:00 -0500

No, the current does not follow "the shortest path". Yes, my mother always said
that but Ohms' law predict more accurately how the current divide. More current
will go through a lower resistant/ high conductive path but there will be
current going through any conductive path, high or low.

Keep in mind that due to ionization conductivity can change during a lightning
event. The current will even follow paths generated directly through air. I
guess you might also experience where grounding rods get insulated from ground
due to the glazing effect due to the very high current density and following
high temperature. I don't know if this ever happens but like to hear if anybody
knows.

All the above events will lead to the unpredictable path of lightning damages.

An other phenomena you might encounter is, if you are present at the lightning
event, that the lightning flashes seen, do not necessary occur at that point
the observer claim they saw them. This is something I experienced my self.

Best 73 de,

Hans - N2JFS