Re: [TowerTalk] ground rods and angle...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground rods and angle...
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 11:11:23 -0800
On 1/19/16 9:42 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
On Tue,1/19/2016 7:10 AM, Chris wrote:
Backfill with bentonite or similar conductive earth material.  I know
a local installer who puts up broadcast towers who did this and
created a ridiculously low resistance ground network on a rock
mountaintop.

Yes, but -- it's my understanding that bentonite and similar materials
must be recharged periodically to be effective.

ionic salts, yes
bentonite, no

the ionic affinity of bentonite is all about it's mechanical and chemical structure. It's a very, very fine clay with all sorts of unusual properties.

the bentonite has to have moisture, though.

This is one of the big selling points to bentonite and fly ash: they don't leach. You don't get into trouble with the NEPA, CEQA compliance, for instance.