[TowerTalk] Seized Gearbox

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Seized Gearbox
From: "Wilson" <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 09:22:32 -0500
Why not clamp a cable, with an eye on the other end, to the lift cable, take
the load on a come a long, and get the box down?
Then fix the box, or replace.
But first try a wrench on the driveshaft, rocking a bit to see if it will let
go, after putting in thin oil, of course.
I don’t know what kind of motor is on there, but the starting torque is
probably quite low and a little force might be in order.
Judgment is required, of course.  You don’t want to shear the teeth off either
gear!  Some stops stuck through the tower would be nice...
I have an old rototiller that was built, amazingly, with a bronze worm and
ALUMINUM driven gear!
It’s way obsolete, but far better than anything new.  The new bronze gear,
after much searching, was $90.  Worth it.
WL