[TowerTalk] Fw: Looking for alternative sources for fiberglassspreaders

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fw: Looking for alternative sources for fiberglassspreaders
From: "Ron W8RJL" <youngron@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 18:02:00 -0500

I built the Catfish Special when I was a new General Class ham back in 1965.
The article was in the November 1965 CQ Magazine page 11. It worked
amazingly well for a cheap 2 element Yagi built by a 9th grader and it
stayed up until I went to college and my parents moved. My mom provided the freezer foil, dad worked for an electrical contractor so I was able to score
lots of black electrical tape to wrap over the foil. I didn't use TV
stand-offs for the elements I scrounged some ceramic stand-offs. I don't
remember where I got the bamboo poles but since we had just built a new home
the wood needed was available. Recently I have looked for bamboo poles and
they are not easy to find. I was thinking of seeing just how cheap I could
reproduce it in todays dollars. Anyone wanting the .pdf on this old article
email me with "Catfish" on the subject line,  73, Ron W8RJL

----- Original Message ----- From: "W5GN" <w5gn@mxg.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for alternative sources for
fiberglassspreaders

Even cheaper was the 2 el 15 meter beam using a 2x4 as the boom,
1x2 by 4 feet to which was mounted bamboo fishing poles
wrapped with aluminum foil and a small loading coil on the
director.  Played magnificent (in the 1958 Sun Spots!)

This was from CQ Magazine, I think, and called the Catfish Special

Barry, W5GN