Re: [TowerTalk] Source for (4) 265 foot towers.

To: "'Patrick Greenlee'" <patrick_g@windstream.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Source for (4) 265 foot towers.
From: "Jeff DePolo" <jd0@broadsci.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 15:01:31 -0500
> If it were me I would install redundant lights so as to not have to
> climb the tower when a bulb burns out.

That's not always practical for a top-mounted beacon due to the size.  Also
keep in mind that most ham towers have rotating antennas at the top, and it
is very unlikely that a conventional incandescent L-864 "code beacon" would
be able to be supported by a typical rotating mast - it weighs about 60 lbs,
is a foot in diameter (base plate slightly more), and close to three feet
tall.  If it can't be mounted on the mast, it could result in needing TWO
code beacons at the top of the tower structure (rather than at the top of
the antenna/mast) to provide unobstructed visibility.

Also, consider the cost of the electricty.  A single code beacon has two 620
watt bulbs (PS-40).  The side markers are about 100 watts each, with a
minimum of two, sometimes three depending on the tower geometry.  So to
light one tower is about 1.5 kW, or 6 kW for four towers.  Assuming the
lights will be on for 10 hours a day, you're probably looking at the better
part of $300 a month in electricity just to keep the lights on...

Yes, LED alternatives are out there.  But I can tell you that, based on a
whole lot of commercial experience, you will be misible if you try to use
LED's in the presence of high levels of RF from transmitting antennas, or
when placed anywhere near a receiving antenna.

> Painting wouldn't have to be done often if done right to
> start with but
> one day...

It depends on the environment.  It can be as little as 5 years, or as much
as 15 years.  Different types of paint are better/worse for different
environments.  Some of the longest-lasting tower paints I've used were
oil-based of the same type that are used to paint high-voltage power line
towers, although obviously those are usually painted grey, not aviation
orange and white.

                                --- Jeff WN3A

---