Re: [TowerTalk] 40-30m dipole design

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40-30m dipole design
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 12:14:29 -0700
On 3/17/16 8:29 AM, N1BUG wrote:
While trying to figure out how to move up a notch from my inverted V
antennas on 40 and 30 meters I came up with a crazy idea. I was looking
at building a rotatable dipole for 40 meters, either full size or
possibly shortened. A 70% of full size linear loaded 40 meter dipole is
nearly a full size 30 meter dipole. Various articles claim only about 1
dB reduction in "gain" from a full size dipole on 40.

An "infinitesimally small" dipole has a theoretical gain of 1.5dBi vs 2.14 dBi for a half wave dipole. 1dB reduction seems larger than what you'd expect.

Could relays be
used at the dipole feed point to short out the linear loading, making a
two band antenna? It seems good in theory but if it were that easy,
wouldn't someone have done it already? I have no idea whether RF voltage
across the relay contacts when operating on 40 meters would be high
enough to make this impractical.

There's no big advantage to linear loading: you might as well use a good low loss inductor at the feed (the "shorty 40" does this).

I don't think the voltage will be all that extreme. A 30 m dipole, on 40m, has a feed point impedance of 30-300j ohms. You can use one of the antenna tuner apps to figure out what hte voltage is.

W9CF has a nice simulator in Java